Sunday, October 7, 2007

Internet Security

It is a common misconception that most IT people would know the basics of hacking. However, many of my colleagues, including me, were still unaware of the kinds of threats that exist today and what was actually possible when it comes to malicious code. After watching the presentation on internet security during our Mantech class, i was partly fascinated and surprised by what I learned.

In order to protect yourself from threats, you must first get to know what threats you are dealing with. Some of the hacking methods shown were somewhat simple and just involved finding a way to manipulate code into reading inputs as commands. After recently completing a database project during my OJT term, i found myself wondering what could have happened if my system was attacked. The answer was obvious. I was absolutely unprotected to those threats. Knowing this, it is easy to realize how much more improvements could have been done and how important internet security is.

No comments: